Join us at Keela Yoga Farm in March 2019 for a 1 month food forest course or October 2019 for a one week or weekend Food forest course in Portugal.
Learn everything you need to know about starting your very own food forest and off grid farm while experiencing community living on a new permaculture project. Enjoy daily yoga and meditation practice amongst the beautiful Portuguese countryside!
To apply for this course please fill in the booking form
19th October – 26th October 2019 – One week food forest course
31st October – 1st November 2019 – Two day food forest course
March 2020 – One Month food forest course
One month Course cost: EUR 900 per person (this is heavily discounted due to the work you will be doing for the food forests in the afternoons, if you do not want to do the physical afternoon contribution for the food forests, then you can pay an extra 700 EUR)
One week course cost: EUR 300 per person early bird until 19th August (otherwise 400 EUR)
Two day Course Cost: EUR 100 per person
Your teacher Laurence has now run four one month food forest courses, were students learn and build a food forest at Keela Yoga Farm. Laurence works in the food forests all year since starting them in 2017. Previous to that he has attended various courses including ‘Permaculture Design Course’ (PDC) in Thailand, a master designer course where he discovered food forests, ‘Food Forestry’ course with Doug Crouch in Portugal, Food Forest course with Tito Lopez in Portugal.
With The exception of one day and weekend courses, Laurence runs the course to give you hands on experience, nothing is set up ready for you, you have to create the mulch, prepare the land, do the soil tests. The course is set up so you learn how to build a food forest, plan how to build it and then plant it. You will be doing all the work, this is not a demonstration but a real life experience of what it would be like if you had to do it for yourself.
All these topics will be included in all the courses however, the longer the course the more hands on you will get.
- Enjoy a tour of our new food forest and the farm
- Design and help to expand a new food forest
- Learn how to draw to scale drawings for design and planning
- Learn about the food soil web, how to make organic fertilisers and cultivate microbiology for the soil
- Discover how to properly research trees and their companions
- Learn how to design guilds and a food forest
- Plant trees and guilds in the food forest
- Propagate perennials to plant into next year’s food forests
- Create beds for annuals in between the trees for planting to maximise the space in the food forests (only on the one month course)
- Learn how to design, select and buy irrigation systems
- Plan and perform earthworks for water catchment, swales and ponds
- Learn how to graft trees (only on the one month course in spring)
- Learn how to make compost piles, organic fertilisers and how to breed fungi and bacteria for the soil (teas)
- Opportunity to learn some natural building techniques (only on the one month course)
- Attend weekly workshops on fermentation, permaculture principles, applied technology and other farming related topics
- Plant trees as part of our reforestation program outside of the new food forest (only on the one month course)
- Join the one day course about foraging for wild greens and weeds for edibles and medicinal plants with Raquel from the awakened life project (only on the one month course)
- Opportunity to learn carpentry skills for making items for the food forest such as cold frames, raised bed boxes or trellises (only on the one month course)
- 1 optional weekly trip to either the local market, local community event, local sites or community work (5 EUR per per person to cover petrol and car hire)
- 1/2 day per week helping on a farm in the local community that needs it
- 1.5 days of to relax and study.
Optional activities on your days off with local communities:
- Local walks in nature
- Relax on the farm on a hammock
- Walk to local cafe
- Private horse riding. 15eur per hour. Can be beginners within our friends farm or advanced going over long distances.
- Private Soap Making Workshop from Mount of Oaks Community. 25eur per person (min 4 people). Make organic soap and get take what you make home with you
- Nature walk with a botanist and Nature lover. 10eur per person (min 3 people or 30eur)
- Learn how to make an organic first aid kit with plants, for anything from colds to cuts and take your first aid kit home with you! (40eur)
What else is included:
- Three healthy meals daily with lots of produce from our own land
- Daily yoga, meditation and pranayama classes with on site yoga teachers
- Have time to relax in nature
- Opportunity to explore the local area by foot or by mountain bikeDaily yoga classes on the yoga deck
To apply for this course and see accomodation costs please take a look in the booking form
What to bring on the course and how to get here – Please click here