The easiest part of managing an agroforestry is raising the funds to plant it and then planting it. The real work comes later, with maintenance year after year. This article discusses the maintenance we must do each autumn in our organic agroforest in Portugal.
Agroforestry maintenance in Autumn
- Initial Tree pruning – Some trees can be pruned in autumn
- Removing Irrigation pipes – This makes it easier for us to work with the tractor and strimmer
- Compost all the trees – This is done in early autumn and in spring
- Replace any dead plants or trees
- Plant crops in the alleys, this can be cover crops, grains or vegetables